Social Media Revolution: Click on vid to enlarge.
A possible topic of concern for poster:
Here are the Stats from Video:
11. By 2010 Gen Y will outnumber Baby Boomers….96% of them have joined a social network
12. Social Media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the Web
13. 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met via social media
14. Years to Reach 50 millions Users: Radio (38 Years), TV (13 Years), Internet (4 Years), iPod (3 Years)…Facebook added 100 million users in less than 9 months…iPhone applications hit 1 billion in 9 months.
15. If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 4th largest between the United States and Indonesia (note that Facebook is now creeping up – recently announced 300 million users)
16. Yet, some sources say China’s QZone is larger with over 300 million using their services (Facebook’s ban in China plays into this)
17. comScore indicates that Russia has the most engage social media audience with visitors spending 6.6 hours and viewing 1,307 pages per visitor per month – Vkontakte.ru is the #1 social network
18. 2009 US Department of Education study revealed that on average, online students out performed those receiving face-to-face instruction
19. 1 in 6 higher education students are enrolled in online curriculum
20. % of companies using LinkedIn as a primary tool to find employees….80%
21. The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year-old females
22. Ashton Kutcher and Ellen Degeneres (combined) have more Twitter followers than the population of Ireland, Norway, or Panama. Note I have adjusted the language here after someone pointed out the way it is phrased in the video was difficult to determine if it was combined.
23. 80% of Twitter usage is outside of Twitter…people update anywhere, anytime…imagine what that means for bad customer experiences?
24. Generation Y and Z consider e-mail passé…In 2009 Boston College stopped distributing e-mail addresses to incoming freshmen
25. What happens in Vegas stays on YouTube, Flickr, Twitter, Facebook…
26. The #2 largest search engine in the world is YouTube
27. Wikipedia has over 13 million articles…some studies show it’s more accurate than Encyclopedia Britannica…78% of these articles are non-English
28. There are over 200,000,000 Blogs
29. 54% = Number of bloggers who post content or tweet daily
30. Because of the speed in which social media enables communication, word of mouth now becomes world of mouth
31. If you were paid a $1 for every time an article was posted on Wikipedia you would earn $156.23 per hour
32. Facebook USERS translated the site from English to Spanish via a Wiki in less than 4 weeks and cost Facebook $0
33. 25% of search results for the World’s Top 20 largest brands are links to user-generated content
34. 34% of bloggers post opinions about products & brands
35. People care more about how their social graph ranks products and services than how Google ranks them
36. 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations
37. Only 14% trust advertisements
38. Only 18% of traditional TV campaigns generate a positive ROI
39. 90% of people that can TiVo ads do
40. Hulu has grown from 63 million total streams in April 2008 to 373 million in April 2009
41. 25% of Americans in the past month said they watched a short video…on their phone
42. According to Jeff Bezos 35% of book sales on Amazon are for the Kindle when available
43. 24 of the 25 largest newspapers are experiencing record declines in circulation because we no longer search for the news, the news finds us.
44. In the near future we will no longer search for products and services they will find us via social media
45. More than 1.5 million pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos, etc.) are shared on Facebook…daily.
46. Successful companies in social media act more like Dale Carnegie and less like David Ogilvy Listening first, selling second
Successful companies in social media act more like party planners, aggregators, and content providers than traditional advertiser